A recent study by Travelodge stated that parents are preparing to spend thousands of pounds keeping their children entertained during the summer holidays. On average parents spend on £1,500 over the six week period, which is an extortionate amount. Not everyone has that kind of money to spend on entertainment but the good news is there are plenty of ways you can help your children fight off the boredom for much less. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Sort out the bedroom and the toy box. You are bound to stumble across several toys that your children have forgotten about. Get your kids involved, they will soon spot the loved toys that have been neglected for months!
- Check what’s happening in your local area. There are plenty of free or low cost events happening all over the country that put on entertainment for the whole family.
- Explore your neighbourhood. Pack a small picnic and some drinks and go on an adventure. Pick a direction and see what you can find.
- Build a den in the garden or the house if it’s raining outside. Dens are great fun for all ages, especially if you’re able to leave it up long enough to sleep in!
- Gather together your recycling and get creative, see what you can make from the bits and bobs that are headed to the recycling bin.
- Build some animal habitats in the garden. Animals like hedgehogs and even bees need your help in finding somewhere suitable to make their home.
- Get out the chalks and play hopscotch on the garden path, then let your children draw too, they’ll be entertained for hours.
- Have a picnic in the garden with all your children’s toys. Bring out Woolly, Mr Tumble, Peppa Pig and all your child’s favourite characters to join in the fun. Invite one or two friends over too.
- Organise a treasure hunt inside and outside in the garden. Make the clues, hide some treats and see who’s able to solve the hunt in the quickest time.
- Dressing up is great fun, let your children rummage through your wardrobe and get creative with your clothing.
How do you plan on keeping your children entertained this summer? Tweet @GoldenBearToys with your ideas.
Share this post