Do you have a fussy eater in the family? If you do you may have already experienced lots of tricky mealtimes with your toddler. You might be concerned that your child isn’t eating enough variety in their diet or find yourself cooking several meals throughout the day to keep everyone fed and happy. Fussy eaters can lead to lots of stress in the family but we have some tips that can help to bring the calm back to the family mealtimes.
- Make mealtimes fun. Involve your child in the preparation process of the food. Pick jobs that are suitable for their age – perhaps stirring and mixing, measuring or even just passing you the foods you need. Encourage your child to have a taste of the foods, but don’t force the issue.
- Have a sit down family meal time each evening or as often as you can. Play fun sit games or talk about their favourite stories and characters to help take the focus away from the food. Share foods around the table together and talk about what you’re eating and why you like it.
- Bring their favourite toy to the table or have a sit down picnic with the toys at lunch. Ask your child what they would like to serve their best friend. Watch shows and read books and pick up on the foods being mentioned and suggest trying them together with their favourite toy.
- Don’t try and force your child to finish everything on their plate. Once they are full simply remove the plate, you can always save the leftovers for later on.
- Let your child have a say in the foods you eat. Take them shopping with you and ask if there are any meals they would like to have during the week.
Share this post